Read more about CHEMMEEN ACHAR
Kerala achar recipes collection, pickle recipes like nonveg pickles as well as veg pickles. Mango Pickle, Lemon Dates Pickle, Veluthulli Achar, Naranga Achar are usually used pickles along with rice or chapatti.
In India, we make pickles with many kinds of ingredients with raw mango, lemon, nellikka. Prawns pickle is my favored pickle. It's a light pickle and not using too many ingredients. If you are using pickles for more days, you should use more vinegar or oil.
In this chemmen achar recipe uses vinegar and I like to store in a jar for more days. I have used chemmen achar every day with boiled rice,chapathi. The pickle is the main part of my lunch box.
- For Marinade
- Small Prawns - 250 Gm
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Nallenna/ Ellenna - 3 Tablespoon For Pickle
- Ginger - 2 Medium Sized
- Garlic - 8 Cloves
- Green Chillies - 7 (Chopped)
- Nallenna/ellenna - 3 Tablespoon
- Vinegar - 2tablespoon
- Red Chilly Powder - 2 Tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Tablespoon
- Black Pepper Powder - 1/2 Tablespoon
- Salt - To Taste
- 1Clean and Peel the prawns. In a mixing bowl add cleaned prawns, enough salt, add chilly powder, turmeric powder and mix it well. Set it on a strainer for the water in the prawns to drain. Let it marinate for 45 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add prawns. Fry on low flame for 5 - 7 minutes until cooked. After frying keep it aside.
- 3Add the remaining oil in the pan and add crushed ginger and garlic mixture. Saute for two minutes. Add chopped green chillies and continue to saute on medium flame until the garlic and the ginger are finely roasted.
- 4Add all powders and adjust the salt and fry for a minute. Add the fried prawns. Cook it for 5 minutes, saute it well and all the prawns will completely blend with masalas.
- 5Add kayam powder and fenugreek powder and saute it. After 5 minutes the mixture would become slightly dry and oil starts to float on top completely. Switch off the flame and let it cool for an hour. Add vinegar after the complete cooling of the pickle. Add more if you like to need more.
- 6Spicy Chemmeen Achar/Prawns pickle is ready to serve. Transfer the pickle to a ceramic or a glass jar.