Read more about CALORIES IN RED LENTIL CURRYThis lentil masala is a simple and spicy vegan meal that is packed full of nutrients. Make the masala sauce ahead of time for a quick gluten-free dinner.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1L vegetable stock, or more to taste
- 100g farro
- 175g red lentils
- 1Sprinkle salt over carrots, celery and onion. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Cook and stir vegetables until onion has softened about 5 minutes. Push vegetables aside to clear a space in the centre of the pot. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the center. Sprinkle garam masala over the oil and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir into vegetables until well coated.
- 2Pour vegetable stock into the pot; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add farro. Cover and simmer until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add lentils. Cover and simmer, adding more stock if needed, until farro and lentils are tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.