Read more about HOW TO MAKE FISH CURRY
Fish curry Kerala style (Kerala Fish Curry) is a traditional dish of Kerala with its unique taste, it uses kodam puli, coconut milk and spices. This easy Indian fish curry recipe can make within minutes.
This is my mother’s recipe instructions for the flavorful and delicious Kerala style fish curry. This tasty fish curry can be left outside for 1-2 days and tastes better the next day.
This is an excellent and delicious Kerala fish curry flavored with coconut, ginger, curry leaves, turmeric and cooked in creamed coconut juice. Here you can learn how to make fish curry Kerala style with coconut milk, coriander powder, special additions of tamarind extract and curry leaves. This fish curry is also the best combination with boiled tapioca or kappa puzhungiyathu.
- Ingredients For Fish Curry
- Cleaned Fish(cut into cubes) - 500 Gm
- Coconut Oil - 3 Tablespoon
- Small Onion(Chopped Finely) - 2 Numbers
- Green Chilly(Slit into two) - 4 Numbers
- Ginger(chopped finely) - 1 Tablespoon
- Malabar Tamarind /Kudampuli(washed and soaked) - 4 pieces
- Curry Leaves - Few
- Water - 2 Cups (Approximately)
- Salt As per your Taste Ingredients for Coconut Ground Paste
- Fresh Grated coconut - 1 Cup
- Chilly Powder - 2 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Pepper Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Small Onion - 3 Numbers
- 1Cut and clean fish, keep aside.
- 2In one cup water, soak the cleaned and washed kudam puli. Keep aside.
- 3Take ingredients for coconut ground paste in a mixer/blender jar and grind with two tablespoon water and make a smooth paste, keep aside.
- 4Heat a "mannchatti" clay pot or a nonstick pan with 2 tbsp coconut oil.
- 5Add finely chopped onion, sliced green chilly, ginger and curry leaves. Lightly saute it on medium flame until golden brown.
- 6Add the coconut ground paste and mix well. Saute next 1 to 2 minutes. Add soaked kudampuli (Malabar Tamarind), two cups of water and salt to taste. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- 7When boiled, add cleaned fish pieces. Add some extra curry leaves at this stage for extra flavor. After adding the fish pieces swirl the mannchatty to mix everything well. Let to boil and cover with a lid. Cook at the medium-low flame.
- 8Make sure you have to rotate the meen chatty every 6-8 minutes or stir well using a spoon without breaking the fish pieces. Cook till the fish gets done and the gravy is medium-thick. It generally takes less than 15-20 minutes to cook the fish perfectly.
- 9Switch off the fire and sprinkle some coconut oil. Keep a few minutes for the setting and allow it to cool down. Serve hot or warm with boiled rice or boiled tapioca(kappa puzhungiyathu). Enjoy🙂