Read more about KADALA FRY
Kadala Fry / Kadala Roast is a well-known dish among Keralites. Kadala(Chickpea) masala is a great combination of spicy masalas with coconut bits.
Similar Recipes, you also like:
Kadala is rich in protein. Kadala Varattiyathu or Kadala Fry, is a perfect combination with puttu,appam or chappathi. Prepare it - How to Prepare Kadala Curry Roast - and here you can experience the South Indian Breakfast dish Kadala Dry Roast for your breakfast.
- Kadala / Chickpeas - 1 cup
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
- Onion ( finely chopped ) - 1 medium
- Dry Red Chilly(Vattal Mulaku) - 2 Nos
- Green Chilli - 2 Nos
- Garlic Crushed - 3 cloves
- Ginger Crushed - 1-inch piece
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coconut Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Coconut Pieces - 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder - 3/4 tablespoon
- Chilly Powder -1 tablespoon
- 1Soak kadala/ chickpeas in water overnight.
- 2Cook kadala in a pressure cooker with water and salt. Keep the water level should just above the chickpeas level.
- 3After 5 to 8 whistles, switch off the flame. Usually, I should keep the flame low after 2 or 3 whistles and wait for 10 to 20 minutes.
- 4Open the cooker. Cook chickpeas again if the excess water is present. Make assured the kadala become dry.
- 5Heat oil in a non-stick pan on low-medium flame.
- 6Add mustard and let it splutter.
- 7Add crushed vattal mulaku(dry red chilli) and saute well.
- 8Add crushed ginger, garlic, green chilly and saute it till the raw smell leaves.
- 9Now add onion, coconut pieces, and curry leaves.
- 10Saute it well till the onion turns soft and light brown in color. Keep the low flame.
- 11Add chilly powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Mix it properly.
- 12Add cooked kadala, mix well.
- 13Fry it on a low flame until done.
A tasty Kerala style Kadala Fry/Kadala varattiyathu/ Kadala Masala is ready!!