Read more about HOW TO MAKE SOFT IDLI
Soft Idli is a very popular South Indian healthy dish made with a granular paste of rice, dal and fenugreek seeds. Ideally served with coconut chutney or sambhar.
All peoples are buying idli batter ready made or using idli podi. The reason is that the idli dosa batter preparation is a little bit difficult and time-consuming process. The ready-made batter is not healthy and tasty. Here I am illustrating How to Make Soft Idli in easy steps.
- Idli Rice - 2 cup
- Dosa Rice/ Pachari/ Raw rice - 1/3 cup.
- Urad Dal/ Uzhunnu Parippu - ¾ cup
- Uluva/ Fenugreek seeds - ½ tsp
- Cooked Rice - ½ cup
- Salt As required
- Water As required
- 1Dosa Rice/ Pachari Raw rice with fenugreek seeds and Uzhunnu Parippu separately, for 7 hours.
- 2Grind both separately. Add cooked rice to ground raw rice batter and grind it again to make a semi-thick liquid. You can add more water the batter is too thick. Not too loose or too thick.
- 3Cover it and keep for fermenting overnight (minimum 8 hours).
- 4Once it rises well, add the little salt and mix it well.
- 5Heat the steamer with enough water, pour the batter into the idli molds and steam for 5-7 minutes on full heat. Do not reduce the temperature while cooking.
- 6Allow it to cool for few minutes and take out the idlis using a spoon.
- 7Enjoy the soft Idlis with coconut chutney.