Read more about KADALA CURRY RESTAURANT STYLE
A simple and easy Kerala Style Kadala(Black Chana) Curry cooked with spices and coconut. Kadala curry is prepared in different ways based on how the coconut is used. Kadala curry can be cooked with coconut milk or without coconut milk. The roasted(varutharacha) coconut kadala curry is a well-known breakfast food. Restaurant Style Kadala curry with coconut milk is very thick also delicious. Puttu and nadan kadala curry Kerala food is a popular combination in Kerala's restaurants(puttu kadala)).
Similar Recipes, you may like :
Here we are going to prepare this kadala curry recipe by adding blended coconut paste. Learn how to prepare/make nadan Kerala kadala curry with coconut milk. Hope you will enjoy well!!!
- Kadala/Chickpeas - 250 Gm
- Fennel Seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Cinnamon Bark - 1-inch
- Strands Of Mace(jathikka) - 3
- Nutmeg Powder(jathikka Powder) - 2 Pinches
- Cloves(patta) - 3
- Grated Coconut - ½ Cup
- Coconut Water - ¼ Cup
- Chopped Onion - ⅓ Cup
- Ginger Chopped - ½-Inch
- Curry Leaves - Few
- Green Chilis - 3
- Mustard Seeds - ½ Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ Teaspoon
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Red Chili Powder - ¼ Teaspoon
- Coconut Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Salt To Taste
- 1Soak the Kadala in water(2 cups) overnight. Add salt and boil the Kadala in water(2 ½ cups) using a pressure cooker. Wait for 8-10 whistles.
- 2Meanwhile, blend the grated coconut. Add coconut water if it becomes too dry.
- 3Heat a pan, dry roast the fennel seeds, mace, nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon without adding any oil. Grind the roasted spices and keep aside.
- 4Add two tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil to a nonstick pan and add mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add the chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add ginger and chopped green chili and let fry for 30 seconds. Add the curry leaves and allow cook till the onions become transparent. Add the powdered roasted spices powder, chili powder, and coriander powder and fry for 2 minutes.
- 6Now, add the blended coconut paste and stir well for 4-5 minutes on a low flame. Add boiled Kadala and cook for about a minute. Add two cups of water and adjust the salt. Let it come to a boil. Switch off the flame. Kerala Style Kadala Curry is ready and serves hot with puttu, appam or rice.