Read more about KERALA SAMBAR RECIPE
We can make our own sambar powder, it is better than using ready sambar powder. But here I am using ready-made sambar masala powder for easy understanding of sambar recipe.
Kerala Sambar prepared in a typical Kerala style Here is my Kerala Sambar Recipe is in typical Kerala style, which is simple, traditional and healthy.
- Dal / Sambar Parippu / Tuvara Parippu – ½ Cup
- Drumstick - 3 No
- Tomato - 2 No
- Potato - 1 No
- Carrot – 1 No
- Brinjal – 1 No
- Yam /Chembu - 2 Small Piece
- Okra / Lady's Finger - Nos
- Ivy Gourd - 4 Nos
- Cucumber - 100 Gm
- Pumpkin /Mathanga - 1 Small Piece
- Raw Banana - ½ Of One
- Green Beans - 5 Nos
- Green Chilli - 4 Nos
- Onion - 1 No
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Pinch
- Sambar Powder - 3 Tablespoon
- Asafoetida Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Tamarind - Gooseberry Sized Ball (Soaked In Half A Cup Of Hot Water For 10 Mins)
- Coconut Oil - 3 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies - 3 Nos
- Shallot – 5 Nos
- Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
- Water - To Cover The Vegetables
- Salt - As Needed
- 1Wash dal thoroughly and soak in water at least 20 minutes.
- 2Pressure cook the dal with water & turmeric powder on high flame for 2 whistles.
- 3Keep it closed for 30 minutes or until the steam goes.
- 4Meanwhile, Wash the vegetables thoroughly.
- 5Cut Drumstick into 2 inches in length and other vegetables cut into medium sized pieces.
- 6Mash the cooked dal well using a wooden spoon.
- 7In the pressure cooker add powders, add salt and sliced vegetables except potato to this. Mix well with water (to cook for vegetables).
- 8When the vegetables are half cooked add potato and the tamarind pulp. Cook till all the veggies are cooked.
- 9Heat oil in a pan and add the sambar powder and kayam.
- 10Fry it for a minute, Open the cooker, add this mixture to the veggies and let it boil for 3 minutes.
- 11Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan and crackle the mustard seeds.
- 12Add sliced, small onions, red chillies and curry leaves. Fry it until the onion becomes golden brown.
- 13Add this to the sambar and mix it well.
- 14Remove from fire. Sambar recipe kerala style is ready to serve.