Read more about KERALA KANAVA ROASTHow many of you like squid/koonthal/kanava?. It's my one of the favorite fish item. It has a mouth-watering taste. My mother showed me to cook koonthal in a variety of ways. One of that I'm introducing here for you. Here I am using sand pot for cooking Kanava/Koonthal. Sand pot is best for cooking it is very healthy for our body. Learn how to cook easy squid roast/koonthal roast in this recipe.
- Koonthal/Kanava/Squid - 1/2 Kg
- Cooking Oil - 2 Tablespoon
- Ginger - 1 Medium Size
- Garlic - 5 Cloves
- Green Chillies - 3
- Big Onion - 1 Small Size Chopped
- Pepper Powder - 1 and a Half Tablespoon
- Garam Masala - 1 Tablespoon
- Curry Leaves -1spring
- Salt - to Taste
- 1Wash and clean the Squid (Koonthal / Kanava) whole. Cut it into small pieces and keep aside. Chop onion, ginger, garlic, and green chillies.
- 2Heat a sand pot and add ¾ cup of water, green chilly, chopped ginger and salt to taste. Turn the heat to high and stir well. Now, add the Squid (Koonthal / Kanava) pieces. When it starts boiling, turn the flame to low and cook it closed till done (about 15 to 20 minutes). Don’t forget to give a stir in between.
- 3When it is finished, remove the lid and heat till the water in the pot completely vanished (if there is excess water). Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust the salt and keep the cooked squid/koonthal aside.
- 4Heat a pan add cooking oil, then add onion, garlic and curry leaves. Stir for a few minutes. Saute it well continuously the onion becomes brown in color.
- 5When these ingredients turn golden brown, reduce the flame to low. Add garam masala powder, pepper powder, if you like, you can add little more pepper powder, because the flavor of pepper is essential for squid. Stir for a minute for removing the raw smell of masalas.
- 6Then add cooked koonthal/squid. Mix well, cover the pan with a lid cook for two more minutes to remove any extra water content. Stir occasionally. Add ½ teaspoon of oil and mix well. Taste the dish for salt.