Read more about VAZHAKKA THORANPacha Kaya thoran or Ethakka Thoran (Raw Banana Plantain Stir Fry) is an easy and traditional Kerala recipe made with plantain/raw banana and grated coconut with some Malabar spices.
Similar Thoran Recipes :
- Vazhakka - 3
- Coconut Shreds/pieces - 1/3 Cup
- Turmeric Powder - 1/3 Teaspoon
- Chilli Powder (Optional) - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garlic Clove - 1 Medium
- Coconut Oil (Or Any Oil) - 2 Teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Curry Leaves - Few
- 1In a mixie, add grated coconut, cumin seeds, tumeric powder, chilli powder, chopped garlic, and salt. Grind the mixture and keep aside.
- 2Wash, peel the skin of raw banana’s lightly and then cut them small. Rub it in the water to remove stains. The Raw bananas very sticky, clean your hands and knife soon after cutting them.
- 3Boil 3 cups of water with turmeric and salt. Add diced plantain to this and simmer for 3-5 minutes till the plantain is almost cooked. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- 4Heat a non-stick pan and add coconut oil. When hot add mustard seeds and allow it splutter. Add curry leaves. Add cooked raw banana’s and stir gently for a few seconds. Add the dry coconut mixture and stir well for few seconds. Adjust the salt if needed and mix well. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and transfer Vazhakka Thoran into a serving bowl.