Read more about VAZHAPINDI VANPAYAR THORAN
Vazhapindi Vanpayar Thoran or Vazhapindi Curry is very simple to prepare Vazhapindi or Vazhaithandu ( Banana stem or plantain stem) for cooking. Firstly, we need to peel the plantain stem fully, as only the core part is used for cooking. The center of the stem is cylindrical and we will remove the fiber from it for proper cooking.
- Vazhapindi - 1/2 Kg
- Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
- Payar - 1/4 Kg
- Chilly Powder - 1 Tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 Tablespoon
- Chopped Onion - 1
- Garlic - 5 Cloves
- Cumin Seeds-1/4 Tablespoon
- Salt To Taste
- Coconut Oil - 2 Tablespoon
- Curry Leaves 1 Spring
- Mustard Seeds -1 Tablespoon
- 1Remove the outer, fibrous layers of the plantain stem. We need to peel the plantain stem fully as only the core part is used for cooking. The center of the stem is cylindrical and we will remove the fiber from it for proper cooking. Clean and cut the banana stems into small pieces.
- 2Soak the cowpeas/vanpayar overnight and take it in a pressure cooker with enough water(2.5 cups water). Pressure cook the whole vanpayar with salt until 4-5 whistles. Open cooker and check if it is cooked properly. keep it aside.
- 3Pressure cook roughly chopped banana stems / vazhapindi pieces along with turmeric powder, green chillies, and salt for two whistle. Add enough water to cook it(Approximately 1 cup to 1 cups).
- 4Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garlic in a mixer or grinder to a smooth paste. Add 1/2 cup water. Grind it properly until it becomes a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- 5Heat coconut oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add chopped onion, curry leaves. Saute it well. When onions are properly cooked add chilly powder and saute it well on low flame. Add cooked vanpayar, cooked banana stem, and coconut paste. Adjust the salt, if needed. Stir well and cook at medium flame for two minutes. The vazhapindi curry starts to thicken, switch off the stove. Proceed with tempering. Banana Stem/Vazhapindi Vanpayar Curry is ready to serve.